Linking your Aadhar card to your PAN card is now required because your income tax return will not be processed if your Aadhar is not linked to your PAN. In addition, if you want to conduct a banking transaction worth more than Rs. 50,000, you must link your PAN card and Aadhar card.
Linking a PAN card to an Aadhaar card is simple, and the government has provided several methods for doing so. The deadline for linking a PAN to an Aadhaar card has been extended until March 31, 2023. However, you must now pay a fee to link your Aadhaar with your PAN card. If the linking is completed by June 30th, 2022, a fee of Rs. 500 will be charged.
How to Link PAN Card to Aadhaar Card Online through e-Filing Website
People can get their PAN and Aadhaar linked online by following the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the Income Tax e-Filing website and select the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option from the quick links section.
- Fill in your PAN and Aadhaar number.
- Enter the name that appears on your Aadhaar card.
- If your date of birth is listed on your Aadhaar card, you must check the box.
- Checkmark ‘I agree to have my Aadhaar details validated by UIDAI.’
- Select the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option
- Next, enter the OTP that was sent to your mobile phone and click ‘Validate.’
- A pop-up message will appear indicating that your Aadhaar and PAN Card have been successfully linked.
Facility for Linking PAN with Aadhaar Card
Only when all of your details in both documents match will the linking of your PAN and Aadhaar card be successful. If there are errors in your name, such as misspellings, your PAN will not be linked to Aadhaar. You can make changes by visiting a nearby Aadhaar Enrolment Centre or by using the NSDL PAN portal. If your PAN Card contains errors, you can have them corrected by following these steps:
- The user can update his PAN information on the NSDL website.
- The NSDL link takes you to a page where you can apply for a name change.
- Submit signed digital documents to have your PAN information updated.
- You can link your PAN to Aadhaar once your PAN details have been corrected and confirmed by NSDL via email.
Importance of Linking PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
Linking PAN with Aadhaar is critical for all PAN cardholders for the following reasons:
- After March 31, 2023, all PAN cards that are not linked to Aadhaar will be deactivated.
- Linking PAN to Aadhaar will aid in addressing the issue of multiple PAN cards being issued in the same name.
- If your PAN is not linked to Aadhaar, your income tax return form will not be processed.
- The user will receive a summary of the taxes levied against him for future reference.
How to Check the Aadhaar Card and PAN Card Linking Status
To check PAN-Aadhaar link status, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit e filing official website page.
- Under ‘Quick Links,’ select ‘Link Aadhaar Status.’
- Enter your PAN number here.
- Now, enter your Aadhaar Number and press the ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’ button.
- The status of your Aadhaar-PAN link will be displayed on your screen.
You need to quote your Aadhaar number for the purpose of filing your income tax return. In the absence of an Aadhaar number, you need to quote Aadhaar enrolment number.
Does a Non-Resident Indian (NRI) is required to link PAN and Aadhaar?
An Aadhaar number can only be obtained by a resident Indian. A resident is someone who has spent at least 182 days in India in the previous 12 months prior to the date of their Aadhaar application. An NRI is not required to obtain Aadhaar or link their PAN to Aadhaar.